We finally made food that matches the weird color of our hallway walls!
Our lives basically consist of trying to find a balance between health, fitness, and a desire to eat literally everything. We want hot (ok, decent) bods, low cholesterol, an entire tray of brownies, two slices of cake, and solid biceps all at the same damn time. When you run a food blog, this can be challenging.
"Ok, now lets go for an eight mile run before we start testing this bread recipe."
"Quick, bring this pie to your coworkers before we have a Netflix marathon and eat the entire thing."
"Ok, I'll do jumping jacks while you throw cookies at my mouth and it will all even out (?)"
Alright, no, that stuff usually doesn't happen, but we do constantly seek ways to meet our health needs while also still making room for yummy desserts and cocktails. Lucky for us (and for you and you and you), our friend Lily runs a blog, Kale & Caramel, that is devoted to finding a balance between yum and health.
But that's not the only reason we're borderline obsessed with Lily *twitches*. She's also witty and hilarious, smarter than both of us combined, hot as hell, AND has a big ole heart-warming smile. Oh and ANNOUNCEMENT - we're doing a superfood dessert collaboration with her this week! The idea was to create a dessert with as many superfoods as possible. Check out what she made, here!
Basically, Kale & Caramel is all about balance. Like, if we eat four pounds of kale, we can eat four pounds of caramel. Or, if we drink four glasses of water, we can drink an entire bottle of wine. Each. We're really into that. Keeping in line with our new favorite food philosophy, these brownies have superfoods such as spirulina, matcha, coconut oil, almond butter, and cacao, but also some regular yummy things like butter and a little powdered sugar. Some good, some not so great, all of it's delicious. And, to all you moms, dads, and gender non-conforming parents with babies or kids or picky thirty year old heathens who won't eat veggies or leave your basement, this is a good way to sneak some healthy shit in while still being like "yeah motherf***er I made brownies woohoo!"
Have a good weekend sweeties! Don't forget to check out Lily's awesome creation, here!
"Superfood" Almond Butter Brownies with Matcha Glaze
makes 12 - 16
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 3/4 cup cacao powder
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 t vanilla exract
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup gluten free oat flour
- 1 T spirulina powder
- 1 cup crunchy almond butter
Matcha Glaze (adapted from Molly!)
- 3.5 T unsalted butter, melted and still warm
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 T honey
- 1/2 T matcha (I used Aiya Cooking Grade Matcha)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 8" x 8" baking dish and line it with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the softened butter and coconut oil until slightly fluffy, about one minute. Add both sugars and beat for an additional minute.
- Add the cacao, salt, and spirulina. Combine.
- Add both eggs and the vanilla extract and beat for one minute until smooth.
- Add both flours and mix until everything is just coming together.
- Fold in the almond butter with a spoon or spatula.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and evenly spread the batter with a knife or spatula.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out mostly clean.
- Remove from the oven and set on a wire rack to cool.
- Once the brownies are slightly cooled but still warm, begin making the glaze.
- In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Pour over the warm brownies and smooth it out with a knife or spatula. *
- Sprinkle with slivered almonds, or literally anything else that you think is cute and tasty.
- Cut brownies into 12 or 16 squares and serve to your fav people.
*It's important that the brownies are still warm when you pour the glaze on top, otherwise the glaze will just clump up and get messy, instead of forming a glossy coating.