Eat Our Instagram: Breakfast Edition
If you follow along on our Instagram, you've probably gotten the hint that we're pretty freaking pumped about breakfast. We love it. Especially in bed. Eggs, toast, granola, yogurt, what the hell ever just give it to us and give it to us now because it's 10 a.m. and we're finally awake after all of last night's wine and we need food!
One of our favorite paths to a quick breakfast is to throw some plain yogurt into a bowl with a huge dollop of peanut butter or almond butter, a drizzle of honey, and a bunch of frozen berries or cut up banana... oh and maybe a handful of granola. So easy, so damn good. But sometimes we get real weird and make savory yogurt bowls or vegan shakes or poached quail eggs. Check out what we've been nomming on for morning sleepy times below!
Middle Eastern Savory Breakfast Bowls
- 1 cup full-fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup tabouleh (store-bought because ain't nobody got time to make tabouleh at 10 a.m.)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- 2 T tahini
- 2 quail eggs or regular-sized eggs, your call + 1/2 butter for frying
- 1 pocket pita bread, sliced
- Fresh parsley and sliced lemon
- Fresh cracked salt and pepper
Use a spoon to make a bed of yogurt on both serving plates. Divide the tabouleh and feta between the two plates and give a swirl of tahini on each. Prepare the eggs by heating the butter over medium-high heat in a small skillet. Crack the eggs into the butter and cover with a lid and cook for about 3 minutes until the white is no longer runny (here's a guide to making the perfect fried eggs!). Remove the eggs from the skillet and place on top of the yogurt/tabouleh/feta. Top with parsley, pita, and sliced lemon. Crack some salt and pepper on top before serving!
Vegan Chocolate PB & J Shake
makes 2 shakes
- 1/2 cup frozen raspberries
- 1 small banana
- 2 pitted dates
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1/4 cup full-fat canned coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon honey (or agave nectar to keep it truly vegan)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup cold water and 1/2 cup ice
- Cacao nibs and crushed peanuts for garnish
Combine all of your ingredients in a blender and blend until no chunks remain. Split between two serving cups and top with extra raspberries, cacao nibs, and crushed peanuts!
Poached Egg + Kale Tostadas
makes 4 tostadas
- 4 large eggs
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded kale
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 T olive oil, divided
- Salt + pepper to taste
- cilantro, green onion, chopped chili for garnish
- Set up a plate with a kitchen towel to absorb the water from the poached eggs post-poaching and bring about 4" of water to a boil in a large skillet or saucepan (the actual amount of water you need will vary depending on the size of your cooking vessel, but you want about 4").
- Working one egg at a time, crack the egg into a small bowl to make sure there are no impurities, create a small circular motion in the boiling water with a spoon to create a small whirlpool, and gently slide the egg into the boiling water. Let it cook for about 4 minutes before using a slotted spoon to remove it. Place on the prepared towel and set aside while you finish this process for the remaining eggs.
- Once your eggs are ready, heat one tablespoon of oil in a medium skillet over medium heat and toss the kale into it along with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Gently stir it around the skillet for just a minute or so until it begins to wilt, and remove from heat. Set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the pan and gently place the corn tortillas into the skillet, frying the tortillas for about thirty seconds on each side. If you need to do this in batches because the tortillas don't all fit in the pan at once, add a little oil between each bath. Remove from heat and place on your serving plates.
- Top each tortilla with kale, avocado, and finally an egg on each. Sprinkle green onions, cilantro, and peppers on top along with salt and pepper. Enjoy!
Tropical Yogurt Bowl
- 2 cups plain yogurt (we use full-fat)
- 2 kiwis, sliced into crescents
- 1 mango, peeled into ribbons with a potato peeler
- 1/2 cup coconut granola
- 2 T coconut cream
- 1 T coconut shreds
- 2 T honey
- dates, optional
Assemble all of the ingredients as in the photo above, ending with a drizzle of the honey, enjoy!
*Obvi this isn't really a recipe but why not include it!
- 1/4 watermelon, sliced
- 1/2 grapefruit, cut into 4 sections
- 1 mango, cut in half, criss-cross sliced
- 2 kiwi, sliced
- 1 peach, cut in half
- 1 cup of yogurt mixed with 2 T honey and chopped mint
Assemble on a serving platter and dig in!
Even more breakfast!