Hi! We're at the beach! We've been here for only .75 days and have done all the beach things like sleep a lot and then take Snapchats* of the twenty minutes we actually splish-splashed in the water. But now we've got the rest of the week to splish-splash a whole lot more, and frolic, and then lay down and pretend we're dead while the sun turns our fleshy bodies the *perfect* shade of croissant.
We've got to get nice and tan because in a couple weeks we'll be spending some time on the road going around Marfa, and deserts, and then eventually LA where we'll kick-start our joint hand modeling career. It's going to be great. Before we high-tailed out of New Orleans, we had some time to put on our make up and shoot this little shrimp salad number filled with yummy couscous. We're huge fans of couscous because it looks and feels like a healthy grain but is actually pasta.
The inspiration for this deal comes from a combination of Matt saying "let's chop up a bunch of shrimp and shove it in a cucumber," and me saying "uh, no" and then us talking about a salad from one of our favorite restaurants in New Orleans, Meauxbar that had both shrimp and cucumber things. They basically take couscous and toss it in an awesome yogurt tarragon sauce and there are lots of herb stuff happening and also grilled shrimp and it's so good and so right and filling but also super light so you can eat like two or three of them, which is ideal. Making something similar to it felt like a good compromise between eating chopped shrimp in a cucumber and eating literally nothing. You can find the recipe below, sweeties!
*If you wanna follow along on this shit show we call "life," our Snapchat is popping off with snaps of us doing some stuff but mostly nothing. Check it out @probably_this!
Shrimp + Couscous Salad
prep time: 30 minutes // assembly time: 5 minutes // makes 2
- 1 cup dry middle eastern couscous
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup full fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 4 - 6 large raw shrimp tail on, shells removed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small cucumber
- 1 small carrot
- Arugula or watercress for garnish
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Begin by preparing the couscous. Bring the water to boil over high heat in a small pot. Add the couscous and a pinch of salt and give a good stir. Cover with a tightly-fitting lid and turn off the heat. Let sit for twenty minutes while the water absorbs.
- While the couscous is becoming it's tru self, prepare the rest of the salad. In a medium-sized heat-proof mixing bowl, whisk together the yogurt, mayonnaise, mint, tarragon, and salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Use a potato peeler to make the carrots and cucumbers into ribbons. Alternatively, you can cut them into match-sticks.
- Once the couscous is done cooking, toss it into the yogurt sauce. You can serve it now or wait until the couscous cools down a bit.
- Scoop the couscous onto each serving plate and form into a little platform, on which you can place the carrots and cucumber. Set aside.
- Prepare the shrimp by heating the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Once you see the first wisp of smoke, add the shrimp. Cook for one minute and then flip, cook for an additional thirty seconds to a minute, until the shrimp are fully pink and cooked throughout.
- Place on top of the bed of couscous and garnish with arugula or watercress. Enjoyyyyyy.