ICYMI, check out our first Nomcast (a bourbon-themed happy hour!) over on nom.com! We'll be doing a weekly live happy hour every Tuesday at 6 pm CST, so I hope you're ready to groan as we behave like drunk assholes once a week, every week, for 30 whole minutes.
Preparing for that show was like the most anxiety-inducing thing I think I've ever done, and look, I once accidentally came out of the closet on an all-boys Catholic high school retreat in a church in the woods in 2007, where there was one candle that was passed around an otherwise completely dark circle of meathead 11th graders and whoever held the candle had to share something personal and I was high on camaraderie, and it kinda just happened, soooo, yeah it was even worse than that.
We basically woke up and stared at a blank dry-erase board for several hours, even though we'd planned what we thought was a good outline for the show the week before. Then, I don't know, it just felt like it wasn't going to be enough material or we didn't know enough about bourbon or talking or being funny, essentially the same worries any image-obsessed self-centered vapid 20-somethings would have (shout-out to the fact that you're reading our lifestyle blog, about us. Too real?)
I've gotten pretty okay being involved in regular still photography, which I guess just happens when you post pictures of yourself online in this context like 5+ times a week, but video in general is pretty new to us, plus like--live? You mean we don't have the chance to edit out stupid things that we say, or do another take if my notoriously awkward correct-word-grabbing pauses last too long? What if I accidentally say something I don't want my mom to hear, or what if don't say enough things I wouldn't want my mom to hear?
I was freaking out, so I made a drink I'd been playing around with to calm my nerves a little bit. If you watch that first Nomcast, you'll see me make a bourbon milk punch, which is basically a super sinful way to get drunk at brunch (or really anytime, but here in New Orleans, it's a brunch classic). This recipe is a play on that classic, using rum as the base spirit, and coconut milk for the creamy portion, so you can feel just a little bit better about yourself while you booze it up this morning. It's vegan! But reel that all back in and start hating yourself again, because you're going to add a little bit of creme de cacao for a round rich anchor, and just because I'm feeling super wild and Deep South Summer, there's this: some crushed honey-roasted pecans for a snackable garnish on the rim. There's a joke here, which I'll let you make yourself. Recipe below, cuties!
Coconut Milk Rum Punch with Candied Pecan Rim
- 1 1/2 oz silver rum
- 2 oz coconut milk beverage (not canned coconut milk!)
- 3/4 oz creme de cacao
- 1/2 oz simple syrup (2 parts sugar : 1 part water)
- 1/2 cup candied pecans, for garnish
- In a food processor, pulse the candied pecans until they form a powder. Fill a bowl with about 1/2" water and lightly dip the rims of your glasses in about 1/4" to wet them, remove from water and shake off excess. Place the pecan powder in a separate small bowl and smooth it out into an even layer. Dip the wet rims of your glasses lightly into the pecan powder, rotating 90 degrees before removing from the powder. Fill glasses with ice and proceed with making the cocktails.
- In a shaking tin, combine the rum, coconut milk beverage, creme de cacao, and simple syrup. Add a handful of ice cubs and shake vigororously for about 25 seconds, until the tin frosts over. Strain into your prepared glasses and enjoy.
More Cocktails You'll Maybe Kinda Love