Hello, how are you!? We're doing really well mostly because of the number of tacos we've eaten in the past few days (17) but also because hiking is a thing in LA and our butts have never been more sculpted. We've done a lot of really really fun things like hang out in Griffith Park Observatory and frolic around the Hollywood sign and walk around West Hollywood and host a little live happy hour from our Airbnb and we've also done some not fun things like sit in the car for thirty minutes to go half a mile. But all in all we're sold. This city is a good one.
Before we left home we kind of knew we'd be doing a lot of hiking and desert-walking and frolicking, so we became *those kind of people* and made protein bars. Not protein bars like the ones that are full of a million things and also maybe taste like sand. We made protein bars that are pretty simple ingredient-wise and also taste like yummy things (pistachios! and white chocolate! and Arnold Schwarzenegger whispering in your ear "you've got this, bb."!)
And they've been super useful! We didn't even eat *all* of them on the way out West, so we were like actually able to use them for their intended mid-hike purpose! We slightly based the recipe off of this recipe from Popsugar and then we wrapped the final product in little pieces of parchment paper and rope because literally why would we not do that it's so freaking cute.
Now we're out of protein bars which is sad but it also means more room for tacos and things from Sqirl and Gjusta and all of the other Los Angeles hot spots that Instagram has been telling us are just so *hip*. Ok but gtg we're late to our couples' botox appointment see you guys later*!
Pistachio White Chocolate Protein Snacks
Prep time: 10 minutes // Makes: 9 squares
- 1 cup roasted pistachios
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- 3 oz whey protein (we love 365 brand vanilla whey protein)*
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup white chocolate chips (optional but u totally should)
- Line a 9x9" brownie pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Measure out 1/4 cup of the pistachios, give them a good chop, and set aside for the topping.
- In a food processor, combine the remaining pistachios and salt and process until you have something resembling pistachio butter that sticks together when pinched.
- Add the oats, protein powder, cinnamon, and agave nectar and puree until smooth.
- Press the mixture into the prepared pan with a spoon or your hands.
- Place the white chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and give a little 30 second spa session in the microwave before whisking with a fork until smooth and drizzling over the bars. Top with the chopped pistachios and let set in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the fridge and cut into desired shapes. Enjoy!
- We only recommend 365 (Whole Foods) brand whey protein for this because it's pretty cheap and free of all the added chemicals we're trying to avoid by making our own protein bars!