I did a weird thing. I took an Amtrak train from New Orleans to Philadelphia just because. A 30-something hour adventure marked by blurry trees, conductor's hats, and 2% milk (I'll explain). I had so much fucking fun. I'm in Philadelphia now, visiting a good friend and experiencing winter all over again. I'll be meeting up with Matt in New York City, where we'll spend the week visiting a few favorites like Momofuku, Death & Co., and Zabb Alee, and also seeing a lot of friends we're long overdue to visit. You can follow along on our New York adventure by visiting the Jarry Magazine Instagram account, which we'll be taking over Wednesday and Thursday for a little #probablythisandthecity action.
OK, so I chose to take a train because I've always thought it sounded like something really fun to do, and I had so so so much work to get done on my computer - thirty hours of solitude with a makeshift office that had a gorgeous view sounded nice. And it was! I did so much! I even brought a bottle of Cool Brew coffee concentrate and ordered little cartons of milk to make makeshift iced lattes. What a life. When I wasn't working, I was reading my new favorite collection of miniature cook books, Short Stack Editions. So far I've read the sweet potato, strawberry, and summer squash books and now I've got a lot of inspiration for spring time blog posts.
But flash back to before I left New Orleans to hop on my choo-choo train to Philly... Matt and I spent part of the weekend making this carrot, parsley root, and farro salad, which was inspired by this salad from Lindsey over at Dolly and Oatmeal. It definitely fits in with my new desire to eat loads of veggies, and gives me another thing to put farro on (it's my new fav grain, y'all). You can eat this salad warm, room temperature, or cold, which is great cause I had it warm and then it sat out for a while and I ate more of it at room temperature and then I put it in the fridge and it made for a great cold dish as a side for dinner. I basically had a day of just eating this salad. Hmmph! Ok ok ok, bye for now, we'll be giving updates via our Instagram if you wanna see what we're up to! And of course, you can find the full recipe below <3
Ginger Sesame Roasted Carrot, Parsley Root, and Farro Salad
Prep time 20 minutes // cook time 45 minutes // serves 2 - 3
- 6 - 7 small carrots, halved
- 5 small parsley roots, halved (you can sub extra carrots for this if necessary)
- 1 cup cooked farro
- 1" ginger nub, minced
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 handful parsley, chopped
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 T toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 T sesame oil (not toasted)
- 1 T sesame seeds
- 1 T red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 1 orange, sliced for squeezing on top of individual portions (garnish)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and line a roasting pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl toss together the carrots, parsley root, olive oil, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Turn out onto the baking sheet and roast for 25 - 30 minutes, until tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In your serving bowl, whisk together both sesame oils, red wine vinegar, garlic, and ginger. Add roasted vegetables and toss together to evenly coat the veggies. Toss in the parsley, sesame seeds, and farro, and serve.